My Little Anabels Birthday

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Happy Birthday Anabel!

April 14th
3:52pm

6.09lb
20in long
13.5in head
Lots of medium brown hair

It all started Saturday April 11th. My mom had came down the night before because I had started getting really down and depressed because Anabel hadn’t came yet and she wanted to keep me company. Well I remember it was almost lunch time that Saturday, and my mom had just gotten off the phone with my sister who mentioned maybe me taking castor oil to induce my labor. Well it took a while for me and my husband to make up our minds but finally we had decided to try it. So me and my mom took a walk to Wal-Greens to get the oil and then over to Dairy Queen to get a chocolate shake (they say that’s the best way to take the oil is in a shake). I took the stuff once I got home. Well that day was a slow day. I got diarrhea like it was suppose to do and I got light contractions about 10-15min. apart. I didn’t get any sleep because they got strong in the night.

We did get up and go to church the next day which was Easter Sunday. They slowed down during church and were almost gone by the time church was over. I was so depressed that once again my body was saying ‘no’. Bob took me to Buffalo Wild Wings after church because of the whole ‘spicy food can help induce’ rumor. I was convinced to try another dose of castor oil after eating, then we went to Wal-Mart to do was jogging laps. Contractions didn’t really start up again until we got to Mom & Dad Risch’s house for Easter dinner… then they hit HARD. They were about 1-3min. apart and very strong. After an hour we called the mid-wife and she had us come on in. Dad droves while me and bob sat in the back of the van. I was in so much pain and so completely tired. When we got there I was checked and she told me that I was only 2+cm dilated and that I should probably go home and rest… and that she didn’t think the baby was coming this week.

I was really mad then, fed up. That night was terrible… again. The next day the contractions were 10-15min apart and slowly got closer together, to 7-10min, 5-8min apart and so on. By the time bob came home I was totally out of it and my mom wanted us to go back to the midwifes to get checked again. I on the other hand was depressed and figured that it was useless because I had been having contractions and they hadn’t seemed to have done hardly anything, that there was no use waking up the midwifes for nothing. But the other part of me was saying ‘take me in and get this baby out any way possible’ LOL. When the contractions had been 5-8min. apart for about 3 hours Bob finally called the midwife to get her opinion. She said to wait till every single contraction was below 5min. for over an hour, then to call her and come in. Well it didn’t take to long until that was happening. We went to bed, which of course I got no sleep and either did Bob. At about 4:30am Bob finally agreed that we should head in again.
Everything kind of all ran together after that. I know when we got there the midwife said I was now 4cm dilated and that I should stay (FINALLY) I know sometime in there my sister Heidi was called and asked if she wanted to come down for the birth… which she did, along with Ethan and Christain. Later I would find out that Christian skipped soccer camp to come see Anabel….far to sweet of him!
I know I got in the tub right away and that Bob got in with me. Heidi was there to help me through each contraction (she was a life saver), to help get ice chips down me and to encourage me. I remember at one point the midwife checked me again and I was 6cm but that the baby was still really high up. She said ‘I think we will have a baby by noon’. HA HA noon rolled around and she checked me again… still a 6! I was more tired then I have ever been in my life and so completely angry it wasn’t funny. Although my anger went in swings, LOL.
The midwife had me try all kinds of positions, on the bed, on the floor, on the birthing ball… but I ended up back in the tub. I remember Heidi and the midwife asking me if I felt like pushing and me telling them I had no clue. The midwife said I could try pushing and to see if it felt good to push, if not, to stop. I started pushing with the contractions right after that and I think I pushed for almost 4 hours before Anabel came. Now I’m not to sure if I should have pushed that quickly or not. My mothers friend who has had 12 kids told her I probably shouldn’t have pushed until my body did it naturally… who knows.

I know I wanted to kill the midwife every time she touched me, and I let her know it too. Heidi said it looked like I was going to punch her several time, and boy did I want to! I know I almost reached down to grab and rip her hand out of me…. I was not a pleasant patient in the least.

I remember thinking to myself that I was to tired to go through all this and that I wished I was at a hospital to get meds and have them just take the baby out. LOL And right after I would have that thought I would literally remind myself ‘they say once you are in labor and want to give up, that means the baby is almost there’…. But it wasn’t happening fast enough for me.

Pushing her out was CRAZY!!! After each push I would growl and yell ‘No I’m done! I can’t!’ I was very loud, I know it… I kept think I was a whuss and then giving myself internal pep talks. They had me try the birth stool and during that is when my water broke. Meconium was in the water which frightened me but it wasn’t really surprising because I was over due. I wanted to stay on the birthing stool but the midwife said that wouldn’t be a good idea so they had me get back on the bed, side/back were I they had me grab both my feet and pull them to me chest with each push. I hated this because my legs where killing me.

There closer to the end it burned so bad and I knew I must be tearing (which I was).Finally though, her head popped out and they where right it felt good to have head out. The midwife told me not push that she needed to suction out Anabel and geeze talk about hard! Bobby really helped me with that, I want to push so bad! With the help of the midwife it was only one more push and Anabel was completely out and the relief was amazing!
They took some time suctioning her out some more, then finally brought her up on my chest. It was amazing! Her breathing was really fast so they suctioned her out several times.
Bob gave her a bath, she didn't seem to like to much so she wasn't in there very long LOL


She pooped all over me right away and then continued to do so through the next few hours about 5 times.
I ripped like crazy… no surprise there! I had about 6 stitches… it took a long time for her to sew me up. She said she had thought of cutting me while I was pushing her out but on one hand she was worried that if she had then the cut might have kept ripping and caused a lot of damage on me. It was in my birth plan for me just to rip naturally so at least she followed my wishes.

I tried to get as much water in me during labor but I’m sure I did have as much as I needed. When they let me up to go to the bathroom it was scarry trying to get back to the bed, everything went yellow and I was (probably loudly) telling them ‘I’m going to faint! I’m going to faint!’ LOL

It felt so good to eat afterwards too. Dad went next door to Long Johns Silvers and got me some fish and hush puppies… somehow I got a chocolate shake from sonic too… don’t know how that happened LOL
Needless to say after all that horrid pain I finally had my beautiful angle and I was on top of the world! I probably won’t be doing castor oil next time! Looking back on it even though I was way over due by all the due dates ever given to me, I should have waited like I had always said I was going too, and just waited till my body went into labor it self… oh well, we learn from our mistakes right?

0 comments: