Matthew Jr’s Birth Story

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Monday the 8th was a very good day. I was feeling pretty good and it was beautiful outside. Bob was working late and had to do the scoring at a JV baseball game. Since it was so nice i decided to take the girls out to watch a little of the baseball game before i had to take the girls to the YMCA for their gymnastics classes. It was really nice to sit outside and watch a little of the game.

After all that was done we headed home so i could start dinner. Bob got home about the same time as we did and that is when the contractions started. They were about 10 a part and there was something about them that felt different. We had hamburgers but i only got about half of it eaten because of the contractions. Contractions went to 5-10min and i called the midwife to tell her what was going on and how i was feeling. She wanted me to drink a bunch of water and get in the bath or lay down and see if anything changed. I did that and for awhile the contractions were 3-5min apart but when i got out of the tub it seemed to go back to 5-7min. I called the midwife again to tell her how the contractions were. She asked if i wanted her to come down. I was worried it wasn’t the real thing or if it was that it was really early on and told her i was going to try and sleep if i could and i would call her back when things picked up or felt more painful.

We went to bed and turned on a movie. Contractions went to 10-15min apart and i figured since things were changing so much that it was probably false labor… but something about how the contractions felt made me question that and still wondered if it was the real thing.

At about 1ish i woke up and realized i had been sleeping for at least an hour. I got so made because i had fallen asleep. I ended up going down stairs and getting some peanut butter and chocolate and ate it very madly and fast lol. I stayed up about 20-30m and had about two more contractions. I was till mad but went back up stairs to lay down. When i got up there contractions started in again at about 10m apart and 1-1.5m long. This kept up and i was able to fall back asleep some and some times i just slept in between the contractions.

Sometime in the morning everything changed. All of a sudden the contractions got really intense and about 2-5m apart and lasting mostly 1.5m long. I had Bob go call Deanna from our church to pick up the girls and he also called the midwife. The contractions were crazy intense! They were so hard to handle! After Deanna came and got the girls i came down stairs and Bob started getting the birthing pool set up.

Midwives came about 6:30-7ish and Kathy checked me right away because she said the way i was acting through the contractions made her think i was pretty far along. I was 7-8cm when she checked me. I was soooooo excited! Contractions were so crazy intense. Finally Bob got the pool filled enough for me to get in and it felt so much better being in the pool. Things get a little hazy from them on out. I know at some point each contraction made me feel like my head was going to explode from heat so Bob got me a cold rag and then that went to a bag of ice.

At some point the contractions automatically started to make me push. I also remembering freaking out when ever the midwives wanted to touch me LOL I would yell at them and tell them to stop LOL haaaa i know i’m difficult. I was talking and complaining a lot.

Matthew was coming regardless and being born still in his sac of water. They tried to break it a couple times and i remember them chuckling and saying that the sac was really strong cause it wasn’t wanting to break.

Finally his head was out and they hurried to get Bob over there because he was going to help pull him out. It was surprising to me what kind of relief i felt, how almost painless it felt having the head out and that it seemed like a long time before the next contraction happened. Bob later told me there was a little whole in the sac of water and that he could feel Matthew’s hair through it :) Then one more push and he was out! They had to peel the sac off of him but it all happened fast because he was in my arms in a flash.

He was bright eye but way more vocal then the girls were when they were born hehe

And now he is here and adorable and sweet and i am in love with him!!!

0 comments: