Discipline

Friday, May 1, 2015

I am learning how different each child is. What works for one does not always work for the other.

Lately it has been a battle with my second to oldest girl. She sneaks into the kitchen at night to get food or snacks and hides it in her bed. She has been lying, hitting and biting to name a few. Time out or spanking just doesn’t seem to work like it does for my oldest. Abby could care less about time out and while she hates spankings and throws a huge fit if you go to do it, I don’t think it phases her at all after it’s done.

So I’ve been at a total loss with her. It’s gotten to where I almost ignore her bad behavior because punishment doesn’t seem to work. I realized I had to stop that right away! Then I went and let my pregnancy hormones overtake me and I bawled my eyes out for just how horrible of a job I have been doing with Abby.

So I got online (pinterest) and started looking for other options. I was raised more traditional with spankings and time out and that is how I started with my kids. I’m not saying it’s not the way to go, but it just doesn’t seem to be working for my Abby.

So I found a few things I really liked. We already have a chore system in place where they have daily routines and chores and earn ‘reward tickets’ for doing them so when I saw this discipline board that used a ticket system I thought we would give it a try and see if it could incorporate will. Here a link to the website HERE. I printed off their ‘rewards and consequences’ PDF for now but if it works then I will go ahead and make my own.

Then I found another printable HERE that has bible verses and consequences for different actions. Last night I printed both of these and got them up on the frig.

670px-Discipline-a-Child-With-ADHD-Step-1

So this morning I talked to them about the how things were going to change and what they could expect. We also started back up the daily routine and chore board to go along with it.

670px-Discipline-a-Child-With-ADHD-Step-11

Today has been tough to say the least. Poor Abby has lost quite a few tickets and privileges today. I’m not sure how it’s going to go. I will give it some time and see if her behavior improves at all because before it was just going down hill.

Today she has already gotten in trouble for hitting and kicking, bad table manners, acting up bad in public and lying >_< she has lost a lot of tickets and cried more then usual.

670px-Discipline-a-Child-With-ADHD-Step-10

But on the upside I have been able to speak a lot more scripture to them for their actions, there has been zero yelling and no spankings. So for me, a lot less stress! And Abby has came to me and asked what she could do to earn tickets back,

She currently has a lot of tickets she needs to earn back so before bed she has some catching up to do.

I am crossing my fingers this works for her because I really need something to help us.

Labels:

0 comments: